Redwood Tree Names, Species of the Sequoia Genus
|Picture of a Coast Redwood Tree|
Picture of a Coast Redwood Tree,
Trees of the Sequoia genus are commonly known as Redwood trees, specifically; Coast Redwood, California Redwood. Sequoia trees are coniferous evergreens, and are some of the largest and tallest trees in the world. The Sequoia genus has only one extant species left; "Sequoia sempervirens", the other species are all extinct, see table below.
Sequoia are closely related to two other types of trees known as Redwood; the Giant Redwood, Giant Sequoia (Sequoiadendron giganteum) and the Dawn Redwood (Metasequoia glyptostroboides). All True Redwood Trees belong to the subfamily Sequoioideae.
Facts about Redwood Trees of the Sequoia Genus
- Genus Latin Scientific Name = Sequoia.
- Genus Latin Name Pronunciation: "see-KWOY-uh"
- Genus Latin Name Meaning: Named from the Latin word "sequi" for sequence / following.
- Genus Common Names = Coast Redwood, California Redwood. List of other Sequoia Vernacular Names
- Number of Taxa (types) in the Sequoia Genus = 6 Species, 1 extant and 5 extinct.
List of Redwood Trees, Sequoia Genus - All known species, taxa types, organized by scientific Latin botanical name first and common names second
† = Extinct Species
|Botanical Tree Name||Common Tree Name|
|†Sequoia affinis||¡ ?|
|†Sequoia chinensis||¡ ?|
|†Sequoia dakotensis||¡ ?|
|†Sequoia langsdorfii||¡ ?|
|†Sequoia magnifica||¡ ?|
|Sequoia sempervirens syn. Taxodium sempervirens||Coast Redwood, California redwood, Giant Redwood|
List of Tree Names last up-dated on